Concept & Vision
The Concept of Christian education held by the Board is where:
- The knowledge of the triune God of the Bible is regarded as essential to each child’s proper physical, mental and social development.
- God is acknowledged and taught as being the Creator and Controller of all things.
- Each individual child is seen as having a specific value, as in the eyes of God, and therefore all types of gifts, abilities and personalities are given equal esteem, as well as opportunity and encouragement to develop.
- God’s moral standards are taught as unchanging and essential to the final realisation of a person’s identity and security in life.
- A broad range of educational opportunities are given in order to foster the differing qualities of each child.
- All staff are born-again believers in Jesus Christ and are committed to the above ideals.
A Statement of the Vision for the School made in July 2010
Our mission is "Christian Education"
The first Vision statement for the School was formulated in October 1986:
- To establish a first class secondary school on a Christian basis to meet an urgent need in Zambia.
- To provide a secondary educational facility for the children of Christian expatriates and nationals who are an integral part of the church of God who are involved at all levels in the active extension of God’s kingdom from leaders and church planters to financial supporters, and who are burdened with the problem of education.
- To establish a Christian school which will be a means, through the training to children and contact with parents, of outreach for Christ into the community at large of expatriate and Zambian business and professional people.
- To establish a school which will become a landmark for Christ and Christian principles and from which will come future leaders in all sections of Zambian life, particularly the church.
Over the course of time the original vision has developed and grown. Each time, with prayer and seeking the blessing of MCC, the following significant additions have been made and have become an integral part of what we believe to be the God-given vision for Chengelo to be a Christ-centred school with first class educational standards.
- In 1995 Ndubaluba Outdoor Centre was used to facilitate Leadership Training amongst Chengelo Students.
- In 1996 we agreed that a Primary School should be an integral part of Chengelo School.
- In 2001 we recognised that the vision of the school could be more effectively achieved with the addition of Sixth Form Education.
- In 2006 we recognised that Ndubaluba was having an impact beyond Chengelo School itself. We agreed that Ndubaluba should develop as an autonomous, but integral part of Chengelo with the following vision:
"Enable Chengelo School to draw its own students and those beyond Chengelo into a closer relationship with Christ through Christian Outdoor Adventure Learning"
- In 2009 we agreed to establish a Teacher Training facility to meet the need for quality Christian teachers at Chengelo and in schools throughout Zambia.
In summary, the Vision revealed by God thus far is to:
"Educate and train young people to become Witnesses to the Light of Jesus Christ in Zambia and beyond"
To fulfil this, our Objectives are to:
- Model and encourage building of Christ-like character
- Facilitate development of students' cognitive and creative capabilities to achieve their maximum potential
- Cultivate biblical/servant leadership attitudes.
- Enable personal growth through physical activities and social development
We seek to achieve our objectives by:
- Allowing God to empower and lead us forward to work out His purposes
- Encouraging staff to further develop their educational base and to use their experience and gifts to realise this vision.
- Managing all the physical resources of Chengelo in such a way that God is honoured.
Key Scriptural References:
"He [John] came only as a witness to the light." Jn1:8
"Jesus grew in wisdom, in stature, and in favour with God and men." Luke 2:52
"Solid food is for those who are mature, who through training have the skill to recognize the difference between right and wrong." Heb 5:14. NLT
"Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it." Proverbs 22:6 NLT
"Write down the vision and make it plain on tablets so that whoever reads it may run with it." Hab. 2:2